Friday, January 26, 2007

30 bobbins bobbing


It took me longer to get back here than I thought. I wanted to share my enthusiasm for a cardigan that I have been working on for ever, it seems. I think I am finally coming into the home stretch on it , or at least I am about two thirds of the way there. (I think). I started knitting on this about 7 years ago and I would get it out once in awhile and then something that I just had to do for the store or a show would take precidence and it would go back in the basket. I am using close to 30 different colours of Rowan Cotton yarn. In most fairisle knitting you use 2 or 3 different colours in one row but in the zig zag pattern running up the back and and down the front (it is knit sideways) almost all the colours are used in each of the rows. That was quite mad, 30 bobbins hanging off the back and no matter how short I kept them they got tangled. I loved it, in fact I love multicoloured knitting whether it is fairisle or intarsia. My favourite sweaters are multi-coloured and sometimes multi textured as well. I am hoping that I can keep at it and maybe get to wear it this Spring and summer. This week I have had to put it aside to knit with a new sock yarn that is called Seawool and is made from wool and sea weed (kelp). I expect to have it my site this Spring and just got a sample to work with. It has a nice hand and works up very nicely.
Thanks for the words of encouragement from those who posted comments. For the person who wanted a picture of my cat Jazmin she is on my web page but as soon as the weather warms up I will get the handy little digital camera out and start snapping.
We finally got Winter and it has become very cold, so cold that we have had just a dusting of snow each day. Today the wind chill factor makes it -25 which is pretty nippy for those of us who live in the southern part of Ontario. The people who get the real winter up north think we are wimps and I would agree I felt pretty wimpy yesterday. The dogs and cats are making very short trips outside so short in fact I don't even leave the doorway, just open it to let them out and then in. Being a born optimist the really good part of the cold weather means that Spring must be on its way, with no Winter it felt like we were stuck in weather doldrums, now we can move on. Spring means shows and that is always exciting.

1 comment:

Deb said...

Wow- I don't think I would be able to commit to a sweater like that! I am looking forward to seeing the finished project!!!!